Today, I tried a new way of answering the question “How are you?” I am curious to see how my colleagues react to my response and whether it will spark an interesting conversation.
I was supposed to answer, “I would say I am a 9.99 out of 10.” to avoid answering follow-up questions. But the silly me typed, “I would say I am an 8.5 out of 10.” instead. 8.5 is pretty good, but not the best.
I can honestly say that it really started a conversation. Many sent their warm messages. And that alone brightened my day. Hmmm, I love you, guys!
The pandemic has created a world in which we are unsure of our emotions. I know I am OK but not fine fine. And I do not want to give them the same old, same old boring response: “I am fine, thank you”. It is boring, yet useful when you do not want to engage in a conversation. I would not want that.
So I made a point of keeping a few more real, funny, and unique responses on hand for the next time they ask.
- Somewhere between better and best.
- Somewhere between blah and meh.
- Navigating the twists and turns of life.
- Getting better with every passing minute.
- Each day is better than the next.
- Living one day at a time.
- Sunshine all day long!
- Dancing to the rhythm of life.
- Taking life one sip at a time.
- We age not by years, but by stories.
Here are some more one-of-a-kind responses.
- Medium well.
- Under renovation.
- Fair to partly cloudy.
- Currently on energy-saving mode.
- Fifty shades of tired!
- Overworked and underpaid.
- Waking up blessed, not stressed. Or other way.
- Working on myself, for myself, and by myself.
- Excited and intoxicated.
- Better days are coming. They are called: Saturday, Sunday, holidays, and payday.
- I feel like I’m already tired tomorrow. (me all the time)
- I can’t complain! (another me)
- I can’t complain, but sometimes I still do. (and me)
Next question, please.
So how are you really? I would love to hear from you.